If you want something fun and delicious then you will want to give these Watermelon Jello Shots a try. They are seriously as much fun to make as they are to eat. These are perfect for those adult summer evenings when you are hanging out with friends. I promise they will be impressed with your creativity. If you are a creative person, then these Watermelon Jello Shots will speak to you on their cuteness alone…before you even taste them.
We had several of our neighbors sampling these and believe me when I say that the men enjoyed them as much as the women did! Cuteness and all! There is still plenty of summertime left to make these, maybe even two or three times. All you need is three ingredients. So simple.
Ingredients for Watermelon Jello Shots
Lime rinds make up the watermelon rinds. How cute is that? Watermelon gelatin and vodka make up the watermelon filling. How yummy is that? They are super easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for the gelatin to set up so you can enjoy them!
If you have a juicer it will really make the job much easier and quicker. If you don’t, the old fashioned way of squeezing the lime juice out of the limes still works like a charm. It will just take a dab longer. You will not be using the lime juice for this recipe so you can save the juice for a future use or discard it. Below are the three ingredients you will need, plus a cup of water.
Watermelon Jello Shots
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 3 ounce package watermelon flavored gelatin
- 10 limes
- 1/2 cup water
- Cut the limes in half. Squeeze all the juice out of the limes using a juicer. Set the juice aside for another use or discard it.
- Gently, turn the lime rinds inside out. Remove all the membranes by pulling on the strings. You can also use a paring knife.
- Once the membranes are removed and the rinds are smooth turn them right side out so they resemble a bowl and take on their former shape.
- Place all the lime rinds in paper towel lined muffin tins or on a cookie sheet. You want them all touching if you are using a cookie sheet, so they stay upright when you are pouring the filling in and while they are setting up. Set the pan of rinds aside.
- Using a medium sized saucepan, boil 1 cup of water. Once the water comes to a rapid boil stir in the watermelon gelatin. Using a whisk, whisk until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in the vodka.
- Carefully and slowly pour the gelatin mixture into the lime bowls.
- Place the muffin tins or cookie sheets, with the filled lime bowls, into the refrigerator for 4 hours or until the gelatin has set.
- Once they are set, cut the lime bowls into 2 equal portions (halves), using a sharp knife. You want them to resemble watermelon slices. Place on a serving platter.
- Serve immediately or keep stored in the fridge for later enjoyment.
Presentation Is Everything
These Watermelon Jello Shots just scream summertime! You can add large salt or sugar crystals to set them on if you want to jazz them up a bit. They are just too dang cute! You almost hate to eat them, almost!
We served ours on a wooden serving board. The texture of the wood grain compliments the pink and green colors very well. Check this one out from Target if you are in the market for a new one! They double as a cutting board, too.
If you want to impress your neighbors and friends, then you have to make these Watermelon Jello Shots. You will be so glad you did and so will they.
Have a great rest of the summer!