During the warm summer months one of our favorite recipes to make is Summer Pasta Salad. It goes with so many different things. We normally make it as a side dish and serve it with grilled burgers, hot dogs, pork chops and chicken breasts. It truly goes with just about any meat.
Team Meat or Team Meatless
You can easily make it as your main course by adding in some chicken breast chunks. It is great meatless also as a light dinner or quick lunch. It is one of those recipes that is very versatile.
Change around the veggies to your liking. Add more of this and less of that. There is no right or wrong veggie. Just add whatever you and your family like.
Disclaimer: We are partners with Freddy’s. Like always, our opinions are honest and ours alone.
Summer Pasta Salad Noodles
The noodles are also something you can change around. We like to use rotini noodles because the ridges hold more dressing. However, you can easily swap them out for elbow macaroni or a spinach pasta noodle. Just play with it and see what you enjoy the most.
We use shredded carrots in this recipe. We don’t shred them ourselves because we like the convenience and time savings of purchasing them already shredded. You can find the shredded carrots next to all the other varieties of carrots in the produce area of your grocery store.
Perfect For Summertime
This pasta salad is perfect for backyard BBQs, tailgating parties, bridal showers, special luncheons and, of course, just your ordinary weeknight family dinner. This recipe contains mayonnaise and sour cream. Make sure to keep this Summer Pasta Salad cold. Don’t leave it sit out too long.
Shhh…Secret Ingredient Time!
I will tell you that there is a secret ingredient in the dressing for our Summer Pasta Salad. Don’t you just love it when you get in the know on a secret? For us foodie lovers, cooks and bakers getting in on a foodie secret it the best!
This particular secret ingredient is Freddy’s Famous Fry Sauce. It makes the perfect addition to the dressing. I know what you are thinking “how on earth did you come up with this idea of using a fry sauce in pasta salad?”. That’s what Sydney and I do. We are always playing with different ingredients and seeing what works together and what doesn’t. Let me tell you what, this one works! Let me also tell you that it is okay to try playing around with different ingredients. It is actually a lot of fun experimenting!
You can find Freddy’s Famous Fry Sauce at Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers locations. You can also order it online at The Freddy’s Store or Amazon.com. Some grocery stores stock it as well.
- 8 ounces rotini noodles
- 1 1/4 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup sweet pickles
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/3 cup carrots shredded
- 1/2 cup Freddy's Famous Fry Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup sour cream
- 2 TBSP sweet pickle juice
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1 TBSP sugar
- Prepare the rotini noodles according to the directions on the box. Drain and rinse in cold water. Rinsing in cold water helps keep the pasta noodles from sticking together.
- While the pasta is cooking chop up the broccoli, pickles, pepper and onion. Add these chopped ingredients and the shredded carrots to a large bowl. Add in the cooled pasta. Toss together.
- In a medium bowl combine the Freddy's Famous Fry Sauce, mayonnaise, sour cream, pickle juice, red wine vinegar and sugar. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta salad and toss until well combined.
- Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours before eating. Stir the pasta salad before serving.
This recipe can be easily doubled for a larger gathering. Have fun with it and make it to the liking of your family and friends. Remember, it is okay to play with your food, well at least the ingredients!
Have an awesome day and enjoy some Summer Pasta Salad this summer!