Since we live in a rural area, we are never short on options for fresh produce! In the summer, strawberries are a favorite ingredient of ours to bake with. Today we are making homemade Strawberry Muffins! (It’s okay if you are drooling a little already.)
Where to Get Strawberries From?
So, where do we get our strawberries from? Sydney and I can go to the local farmer’s market, head out to the you-pick strawberry fields, or take a shortcut and get them at the grocery. There is no wrong way! But sometimes the journey is half the fun, right? 🙂
Something we think that adds to this Strawberry Muffins recipe is the crumb topping. You think of this with coffee cakes and blueberry muffins, but not too often with strawberries. Let us announce…the crumb topping was a great decision! It somehow enhances the strawberry flavor while still bringing a warmth to the muffin.
Tips For Strawberry Muffins
When making this recipe, make sure not to fill the batter all the way to the top of the muffin cup. We have given you a lot of crumb topping, so you want to allow for a generous amount of that, along with room for it to rise in the oven.
When chopping the strawberries, choose how big or little you want the pieces inside of your muffins. We tend to like smaller pieces, but have more of them spread throughout each muffin. But some people may enjoy having large pieces to bite into. There is no wrong way!
If this recipe is not sweet enough for you, there is an option you can add. Whip up a small batch of glaze to top your muffins with once they have cooled for about 10 minutes! The glaze is super quick to mix together and I don’t know too many kiddos who will turn down glaze. 🙂
For the glaze: Mix together 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tbsp milk, and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Done! That’s all there is to it.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 12 tbsp salted butter melted
- Line your muffin tin with liners and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar together.
- Push the dry ingredients to the side of the bowl (creating a well in the middle) and pour in the oil, eggs and buttermilk. Mix until just combined.
- You should have a very thick batter now. Add the vanilla extract and sour cream. Mix until just combined.
- Mix in the chopped strawberries. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together the brown sugar and flour. Add the melted butter and combine (crumbs should form).
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with the batter, then sprinkle on lots of topping onto each muffin.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the tops are starting to get a golden color. Enjoy!
We hope you all are having a wonderful summer! We’ll see you back in the kitchen soon!
Other delicious breakfast recipes: