When we think of summer foods s’mores, ice cream, and milkshakes come to mind. These are a couple of our favorite summertime foods. We decided to take it a step further and create a gourmet milkshake or (as some of us foodies know them as)….freakshake. Keep reading to find out how to make your very own S’mores Milkshake!
What is a Freakshake?
A gourmet milkshake or a freakshake is a basic milkshake with all kinds of extra goodies added on the top! They are truly amazing both to look at and to enjoy!
Seriously, who wouldn’t enjoy one of these? It is a milkshake on steroids!
We had a ton of thoughts on which type of milkshake to create and finally decided it just had to be a S’mores Milkshake. S’mores and milkshakes are one of our favorite summertime treats.
How to Make a S’mores Milkshake
This recipe makes two large milkshakes. If you want it to go further you can use smaller glasses. You can easily cut this recipe in half or double it. It is also a very fun and creative recipe that you can play around with. Change up the flavors of the ice cream and use different goodies on the top that would compliment the ice cream flavor you choose. They are almost as much fun to create as they are to eat…almost! 🙂
Lots of Toppings!
Chocolate dipped marshmallows and chocolate dipped graham crackers add an elegant touch. The whipped cream adds yummy taste. Can you see the small slice of chocolate pie? How cool is that? Lots of things to eat while you drink your milkshake. Amazing! Oh, and don’t forget a cute straw. That just pulls it all together!
To make the mug cute we dipped the top of it in melted chocolate and then dipped it in crushed graham crackers. It is just so much fun to see what different things you can come up with to make it extra cute and tasty!
Bamboo skewers are one thing you will need to get that you may not have on hand. They are very inexpensive and are great for threading some of the toppings, like the marshmallows. Tip: we found them in the grilling section of our store. You will also need two large mugs (we used root beer mugs) and two straws.
- 8 cups chocolate ice cream
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups whole chocolate milk less milk for a thicker shake
- 1 Edward's Chocolate Pie
- 3 whole graham crackers
- 6 large marshmallows
- 1 4.4 ounce milk chocolate bar
- whipped cream for the top of the milkshake
- Gently snap one of the whole graham crackers into 4 pieces (snap at the perforated line).
- Using a zipped plastic bag place the other two graham crackers into it and zip closed. Then roughly crush (you don't want them too fine) the graham crackers with your hands or use a rolling pin. Place the crushed graham crackers on a small plate. Set aside.
- Break the chocolate bar into small pieces and place in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate in 25 second increments, stirring in between until melted.
- Dip the rim of the root beer mug into the melted chocolate. Gently roll the rim into the crushed graham crackers so that the rim is coated completely. Using an iced tea spoon, drip some of the melted chocolate down the inside of the mug and allow it to run down. Repeat this process with the second mug. Place both of the mugs in the fridge so that the chocolate will set up and harden. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Dip about 1/4 of each marshmallow into the melted chocolate and place on a small plate. Dip about 1/4 of each graham cracker into the melted chocolate and place on a small plate with wax paper. Place both plates in the fridge to allow the chocolate to set up and harden. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Once the chocolate has set, thread three marshmallows onto a skewer. Repeat with remaining three marshmallows and skewer. Set aside.
- Cut two tiny slices of the chocolate pie. Set aside.
- Put the ice cream and milk in a blender and blend until combined. You will want to stop a couple of times to stir so the ice cream and milk will get mixed in well.
- Pour the milkshake evenly into the two refrigerated root beer mugs.
- Top the milkshake with a good amount of whipped cream (you want it a couple of inches above the top of the mug). Add a marshmallow skewer to each mug. Gently push two of the chocolate covered graham crackers into the whipped cream of each mug. Top each with a tiny slice of pie. Add a cute straw. Enjoy!
That is all there is to making these really cute gourmet milkshakes. These would be perfect for little girls to make at a slumber party. Honestly, these would be fun for girls of any age who just want to hang out and create something together.
If you try these please send us a picture of your creations. We would love to see what combinations you come up with!
Have an awesome day!