Here in Ohio we have been having quite a bit of snowy, cold weather. For us foodies who live in very cold and snowy areas, the first thing we think of when we think of snow is a big, hot mug of hot chocolate. That is just how we foodies roll. Let us introduce you to S’mores Hot Chocolate!
Some people like their hot chocolate plain (in a pinch this will do), some like it topped with marshmallows and some like it topped with whipped cream. These are the so called “normal” ways to have your hot chocolate.
The Best S’mores Hot Chocolate
Today, Sydney and I are going to introduce you to a new and spectacular way to make your hot chocolate. It is called S’mores Hot Chocolate. You guessed it, it is served with marshmallows and chocolate drizzle, and graham crackers on the top. Sounds good, huh? Well, my friends, we are about to get serious with this S’mores Hot Chocolate.
This particular S’mores Hot Chocolate recipe has you put the mugs of hot chocolate topped with marshmallows under the broiler for just a moment or so. Ta-dah…..check this out! Seriously, how amazingly awesome does this look? Who would not want a large mug of this deliciousness?
After broiling for a minute or so, drizzle some chocolate syrup on top and finish by adding some crushed graham crackers over the drizzle. So delicious! Liquid s’mores in a mug! What could be better?
This is as much fun to make as it is to drink! Little children all the way up to grown adults will enjoy making their own mug.
NOTE OF CAUTION: The mug will be hot for a few minutes because of being in the oven. We placed the mugs on a cookie sheet, set the cookie sheet of mugs under the broiler and removed the cookie sheet of mugs after a minute or so. Let them sit for a few minutes before handling. The mug will cool off fairly quickly and will be easier to handle at that point.
Tips for this Recipe
We always use whole milk when making hot chocolate. Whole milk is much creamier than skim or 2%. It makes a much better mug of hot chocolate.
You can make your hot chocolate from scratch or use a hot chocolate mix. Either work really well for this recipe. We love Penzeys Hot Chocolate Mix. It is a thick, creamy powder that blends beautifully with whole milk. It is one of our favorite mixes to use.
S'mores Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons hot chocolate mix We use Penzeys Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon to taste (or you can omit this ingredient)
- 2 sheets cinnamon graham crackers crushed
- 2 drizzles chocolate syrup
- 2 handfuls small marshmallows
- Crush the graham crackers. Take a butter stick and rub on the rim of two coffee mugs. Pour some of the crushed graham crackers on a saucer. Take the buttered coffee mugs and dip into the crushed graham crackers to coat the lip of the mugs. Set aside on a cookie sheet.
- Place the whole milk and hot chocolate mix in a saucepan. Heat the hot chocolate to desired temperature. Stir frequently.
- Pour the hot chocolate into the two mugs. Top with a handful of marshmallows for each mug.
- Place the cookie sheet, with the two mugs on them, under the broiler for just a minute or until the marshmallows are golden browned. Remove from the broiler and let sit to cool for several minutes. CAUTION: the mugs will be hot for several minutes, but will cool quickly!!
- Drizzle chocolate syrup and sprinkle some cinnamon graham cracker crumbs on top. Enjoy!
We like a little cinnamon flavoring to ours. We use an 1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to flavor the hot chocolate. Also, we like to use cinnamon graham crackers for the crumbs on top of the drizzle. If you are not a fan of cinnamon you can omit it and use regular graham crackers. Choose whatever way you like the best.
You may want to top this off with a big heaping spoonful of whipped topping. Maybe instead of crushed graham crackers on the top you would like finely chopped peanuts. Whatever calls your name, just play with it and make it your own.
You could even set up a hot chocolate bar and let everyone choose from a variety of toppings and drizzles. How much fun would that be? Kids and adults alike would have a great time. This hot chocolate bar would be so much fun for a winter baby or wedding shower!
This is one of those recipes that you can completely change around and have a lot of fun experimenting with. These are some of our favorite recipes to make. The ones where we can change things up a bit and do some experimenting.
If you like hot drinks during the winter, definitely check out our Hot Spiced Wassil recipe! This is one of Sydney’s favorites. 🙂
Have a really awesome day and stay warm during this cold and snowy season.