Puppy chow is one of my son Mason’s favorite recipes. We make this mainly during the holidays. This is a family favorite recipe that we have been making for years. If you are plating it with other goodies the white powdered sugar looks so pretty against other chocolate candy or cookies. It is as pretty to look at as it is good to eat! 🙂
If you like chocolate and peanut butter together, then you will love puppy chow. It brings both of these awesome flavors together into one delicious sweet treat.
Another great thing about puppy chow is that it is quick and easy to make. This is perfect when your kids tell you they need something to take to school tomorrow or your husband says they are having a carry-in at work the next day. These ingredients are perfect to always have on hand for these little food emergencies! 🙂
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 12 ounces chocolate chips we use semi-sweet
- 12 ounces Crispix Cereal
- Melt butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Once the chocolate mixture is melted, pour over the Crispix Cereal that have been put into a large container. A large container allows for easier mixing. Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the Crispix Cereal until covered.
- Add the powdered sugar in one cup intervals into the chocolate Crispix Cereal mixture. Use a combination of gently folding and shaking the powdered sugar into the mixture.
- Store in an air-tight container after it has completely cooled.
For fun and festive ways to package the puppy chow check out our article on inexpensive ways to package homemade treats. The presentation of Christmas goodies is as much fun as making and eating them!
We hope your family loves puppy chow as much as ours does, especially Mason! Puppy chow can be made all year long, not just at Christmas. It would be perfect for your daughter’s sleep over, tailgating, football season, bridal showers and so many other occasions. It is just the perfect go-with-any-occasion fun food!
Have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy some home baked treats this holiday season!