Today we are going to share a recipe that we recently tried for the very first time. Wow! What a hit it was. Sydney’s husband, Austin, especially went on and on about it for days later! This recipe is pizza quesadillas and we have to admit, that for something that is so quick and easy, it is really good!
Let’s be honest, who doesn’t love pizza? I can truly say that I only know of one person who doesn’t like pizza. Aside from all the different types and varieties of pizza available, there are also pizza rolls, pizza flavored chips, pizza casseroles, pizza dips and the list goes on and on. We are now adding a new one to the list…pizza quesadillas.
Even if you don’t cook or bake much at all, you can easily pull this off! It is really that simple.
Change It Up
You can keep this recipe easy and simple or, if you are a true die-hard cook that only cooks and bakes from scratch, you can make your own tortillas and pizza sauce. For those who want something super easy, just use store bought pizza sauce and tortillas. That is what makes this recipe so nice, it works for everyone!
This makes for a great appetizer, game day food, lunch or serve with a salad for a quick dinner. This is also so much fun for the little ones. They can add just the toppings they want and don’t forget about all the dipping they will get to do. Everyone likes to dip sometimes, even adults. 🙂
The toppings can be as many or few as you and your family like. You can make a veggie pizza quesadillas by adding mushrooms, black olives, green olives, onions, green peppers and banana peppers to the cheese. By adding pepperoni, salami, ground beef, ground sausage, ham and bacon to the cheese you can prepare a meat lovers quesadilla. Some chicken and pineapple added to the cheese with a ranch dipping sauce would make an awesome Hawaiian quesadilla. Just play around with different ideas. The sky is truly the limit!
Pizza Quesadillas Cooking Tips
One cooking tip is to add a tiny bit of shredded mozzarella cheese to the pizza sauce before you warm it. This will thicken it a bit if your sauce is on the thinner side. This helps keep the sauce from dripping off as you are dipping and eating. 🙂
Another cooking tip is to build your pizza quesadilla in the skillet. This is especially important if you are adding extra cheese or a lot of toppings in your quesadilla. They tend to start falling apart when you pick them up and put them in the skillet if they are loaded with a lot of goodies!
You can use a skillet or griddle for cooking the pizza quesadillas. We prefer using a cast iron skillet when making our quesadillas. We love using cast iron cookware whenever we can. Just a personal preference.
- 4 10 inch flour tortillas
- 2 teaspoons margarine softened
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 10 slices pepperoni small ones
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning or to taste
- In a saucepan or microwave, cook the pizza sauce on medium until heated completely.
- While the sauce is heating, spread margarine over one side of each flour tortillas. Place one tortilla buttered side down into a skillet that has preheated on medium heat.
- Add desired toppings and cheeses to the tortilla. Ours had shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses along with pepperonis. We put some cheese on first, then the pepperonis, and then more cheese. We sprinkled a little Italian seasoning on the very top. Then place the other tortilla on top with the buttered side up.
- Flip the quesadilla after 3 minutes or when the desired brownness is achieved. Cook the other side until you get the desired brownness.
- Cut into wedges and serve with the warm pizza sauce. Enjoy!
One of the great things about this recipe is that the ingredients are usually ones that you have handy in your fridge or pantry. If you do happen to be missing one, most of the time, you can improvise and make a little deviation from the original recipe.
The inspiration for this recipe came from the Taste of Home, Quick Cooking Magazine (July/August 2005 issue). Thanks so much for the great idea!
We hope your family loves these pizza quesadillas as much as ours did.
Have an awesome day!