Let me tell you about these amazing mocha cupcakes! They contain two of my very favorite things in this whole world…chocolate and coffee! Seriously, it does not get any better than these delicious gems. I am still waiting for chocolate and coffee to become part of the food groups. They most definitely should be!
If you love the smell of coffee brewing, then I promise you will love the combination of the coffee and chocolate as they are baking and the delicious aroma fills your house.
With Valentine’s Day coming up, these are the perfect grown-up dessert to make for you and your special someone. The mocha taste appeals to any adult who loves chocolate and coffee.
Tips for Mocha Cupcakes
Tip: These mocha cupcakes bake quickly! It is very easy to over bake them. You want to start checking them around the 12 minute mark. Insert a toothpick into the center of one of the cupcakes and the second the toothpick is clean, pull them out.
Another tip: You will want to use paper liners so that as soon as they come out of the oven, you can take them out of the cupcake tin and let them cool on a baking rack. You do not want them to cool in the tin because they will continue baking. We learned this the hard way early on when we started making them.
These are one of the moistest cupcakes we have ever made. They are true perfection!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup very strong brewed coffee let the coffee cool before mixing in
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa 100% Cacao
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup salted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons very strong brewed coffee let the coffee cool before mixing in
- chocolate sprinkles if desired
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat the granulated sugar, cooled coffee, eggs, oil, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar.
- In a small bowl mix the cocoa, flour, salt and baking soda.
- Gradually add the mixed dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, until blended.
- Fill paper-lined cupcake cups a little over 3/4 full, not quite to the top. Bake at 350F for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the pan immediately to prevent continued baking. Place on a cooling rack.
- Using a microwave, melt the semisweet and milk chocolate chips with the butter and stir until just melted in a large bowl. Slowly beat in, using a mixer, the powdered sugar. Next, slowly add in the cooled coffee just until you achieve the desired thickness.
- Spread the icing on the cupcakes with a knife or you can pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes with a bag and frosting tip. If desired, you can top with chocolate sprinkles.
- Enjoy with a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee!
The end result of these mocha cupcakes are worth the wait! Guaranteed!
These are as pretty to look at as they are to eat. Now comes the question of what to drink with these babies? A tall, cold glass of milk or a piping hot cup of coffee? This is a hard one to answer. What would you choose?
We hope you enjoyed this recipe and like it as much as I do (as most of you know, Sydney is not a coffee lover. I know, how dare her!). 🙂