Italian Lemon Pound Cake is a super moist cake that packs a flavorful lemon punch! The tart frosting compliments the sweetness of the cake perfectly. This is such a refreshing spring and summer dessert.
Here in Ohio, spring is acting more like summer! We have had some very humid days accompanied by some hot temperatures. When this happens, we tend not to want heavy, “cold-weather” baked goods. In our minds, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, lava brownies, and similar items fall into that category. So this Italian Lemon Pound Cake was a breath of fresh air!
Your Kitchen Will Smell Amazing!
From the very first slice through a fresh lemon, your kitchen will turn into a summer-smelling paradise! We enjoyed the whole process of this recipe because it played with your sense of smell the entire time from start to finish.
Stock Up On Ingredients
There are a few ingredients that this recipe calls for that you may not always have on hand. Make sure to get buttermilk. We like to make sure the buttermilk’s expiration date is a ways out. None of us like to drink it straight, so it has to go into a recipe for us to use it. 🙂 One of our favorite recipes that calls for buttermilk is our Easy Homemade Biscuits.
Another ingredient that you will need is sour cream. This may always be in your fridge, but it is not a staple in ours. Sour cream will give this cake a wonderful, moist crumb.
And, of course, you will need a bag of lemons! How can you make an Italian Lemon Pound Cake without lemons? We use the leftover lemons in a glass pitcher of fresh water. So refreshing!
On a side note, you will also need a bundt pan. This can be a plain one or have decorated designs made to shape the cake.
Italian Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
This recipe is not a quick bake one. This Italian Lemon Pound Cake has a “low and slow” mentality. You will bake it on 325 degrees F for 65-75 minutes (depending on your oven).
Italian Lemon Pound Cake
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 3 extra large eggs
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- lemon zest from 3 lemons
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, sift baking powder, salt, and flour.
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter until fluffy (at least 2 minutes).
- Beat in each egg one at a time.
- Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and sour cream until mixed.
- Mix half of the dry ingredients into the butter mixture.
- Pour in the buttermilk and mix until combined.
- Add the remaining half of the dry ingredients and mix in until the flour disappears.
- Generously spray a bundt pan with cooking spray (you don't want the cake to stick when you invert it). Pour the cake batter into the bundt pan.
- Bake for 65-75 minutes in the oven or until a knife inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs on it.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes, then invert the cake onto a platter/serving board.
- While the cake cools for 5 minutes, make your lemon glaze. Whisk together the lemon juice and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Immediately spread the lemon glaze over the warm cake. It will harden as the cake cools.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mix the powdered sugar, lemon juice, cream cheese, and lemon zest until smooth and creamy.
- Allow the cake to completely cool to room temperature (this takes a bit), and drizzle the frosting on top.
Don’t let all of the steps scare you off from this amazing recipe! You will be so glad you made it once you take that first bite, we promise! 🙂
This recipe was inspired by My Recipe Confessions. Thank you!
Everyone go out and enjoy this wonderful weather!