We love trying new recipes. Sometimes you get great ones that you want to make over and over, and other times you end up with a dud. Fortunately, this Italian chicken sandwich recipe was a huge success! We loved it! We have actually made this a couple of times and are just now sharing it because we tweaked a few things. It is now exactly the way we love it and we are so excited to share it with you!
This Italian chicken sandwich recipe is perfect for the upcoming cold months. In the coldest part of winter, when it is blowing snow outside and freezing cold, you want something good and hot to warm you up on the inside. This sandwich does exactly that. It is what I call warm and comfy food. Hearty and satisfying.
The garlic smell mixed with the tomato sauce and Italian seasonings makes your house smell amazing!
Italian Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided more or less to taste
- 4 Ciabatta rolls sliced
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- You can buy a fully cooked chicken to shred, but we do ours in the crock pot. Put abut a 1/4 cup of water in the bottom of the crock pot, then place the chicken breasts in and cook on low for around 6 hours (cook less if you don't have as much chicken). Shred chicken once it is cooked.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan and cook the garlic for 30 seconds or so, just until fragrant.
- Then add the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and let simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice the Ciabatta rolls in half. Place in the oven to toast until lightly browned.
- Stir the shredded chicken into the tomato sauce mixture and cook until heated through. Stir in half of each of the cheeses until just melted.
- Divide the chicken mixture over the bottoms of the Ciabatta rolls. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over the chicken mixture. Place under the broiler for 3 minutes or so, or until cheese is melted completely.
- Once the cheese is melted, remove from the oven and place the remaining Ciabatta roll tops onto the sandwich. Serve hot. Enjoy!
We doubled the recipe when we made this because we were having company for dinner. This is an easy recipe to increase or decrease depending on how many people you are serving.
You can purchase a fully cooked chicken and shred the meat if you prefer. We elected to cook four large chicken breasts in the crockpot with a bit of water. We cooked them on the low setting for 6 hours.
This is once of those recipes that is fun to play with. Add your favorite ingredients to make it a hit for your own family.
We hope you are enjoying this cooler, fall weather we are having right now. We are putting some ideas together for upcoming cold weather meals. Have an awesome day!