We are one of those families that loves a salty snack. Whether it is potato chips, corn chips, cheese crackers or other salty goodies we are all in when it comes to salty snacks. Since most of our recipes are usually sweet it might be kind of hard to believe that we would love salty snacks. But I promise you that we do! Allow us to introduce Homemade Ranch Chex Mix.
I remember making Chex Party Mix for Sydney and Mason when they were little (this was before you could by it at the grocery store). There was something special about making it. I don’t know if it was knowing it was a salty treat instead of a sweet one. Maybe it was that delicious garlic smell coming from the oven. Or it might have been knowing that as soon as it was done baking we could eat it, while it was still all nice and warm. So delicious and yummy! I can still see Sydney and Mason looking in the oven window waiting for it to be done!
Homemade Ranch Chex Mix
We have a new salty snack recipe that we have been enjoying. Homemade Ranch Chex Mix is like Chex Party Mix except it has a ranch flavor instead of garlic. We make this recipe with some different ingredients over the traditional mix.
I have to say that the pita chips we use in this recipe are most definitely my favorite. I love the big crunch that the pita chips have. Got to love a good crunch! I will eat all the edges and corners of a pizza. Bagels and toast I love really crunchy. When it comes to potato chips my favorite ones are the chips that are folded over. You get a double crunch with them. I will move the bag all over the place picking out the ones that are folded over. Shhh, don’t tell anyone. 🙂
The oyster crackers are probably my second favorite part of the Homemade Ranch Chex Mix. The ranch seasoning just seems to blend really well with these. The oyster crackers seem to hold in the ranch flavor. I am getting hungry just thinking about this!
Ranch Chex Mix
- 5 cups rice cereal we used Rice Chex
- 2 cups peanuts we used cocktail peanuts
- 3 cups pita chips
- 5 cups pretzels
- 2 cups oyster crackers
- 4 1/2 TBSP salted butter
- 2 ounces ranch seasoning powder 2 envelopes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese powdered, in the canister
- 1/2 TBSP parsley flakes dried
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line an extra large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the rice cereal, peanuts, pita chips, pretzels and oyster crackers in an extra large bowl.
- Melt the butter and fold in gently with the cereal, peanuts, pita chips, pretzels and crackers.
- Combine the ranch seasoning powder, parsley flakes and parmesan cheese into a small bowl. Stir until combined.
- Sprinkle over the cereal mixture and butter. Gently toss together.
- Pour the mixture evenly onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Stir at the 15 minute mark.
- Enjoy warm. Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container.
Make It Your Own!
If there is an ingredient you don’t care for just replace with a different salty choice. If parsley isn’t your thing you can replace it with oregano or crushed red peppers. This is one of those recipes that many different options work well together. Just play with it and come up with your own combination!
This recipe is quick and easy but it tastes like you put a lot of time and effort into it. I love it when you can impress your family and guests with very little effort. Homemade Ranch Chex Mix goes great for those summer hamburger and hot dog cookouts. It is perfect for tailgating parties. This recipe also goes great in a lunch box or served as an after school snack.
If you love salty snacks then you will most definitely want to give this recipe a try. Make sure to sample some, or eat a bunch, while it is still warm. I like it best right from the oven!
We hope you are having a great summer and taking some time to enjoy making some new recipes!