If you have been following us for very long, you know what Mexican food lovers Sydney and I are. If you don’t find us eating at a Mexican restaurant, chances are you will find us experimenting with new Mexican recipes in the kitchen. Tacos, enchiladas, burritos, fried ice cream (get the recipe here) and the ever important salsa (our salsa recipe) are just some of our favorite Mexican dishes! We just can’t get enough of Mexican food! 🙂 Now it is homemade flour tortilla recipe time!
Homemade Flour Tortilla Recipe
Today I am going to share a homemade flour tortilla recipe that Sydney and I really enjoy making. Once you make these flour tortillas, I guarantee you will never use tortillas out of a package again! They are that good! It seriously takes your Mexican meal to a whole new level. Obviously, for Sydney and me that is very important! 🙂
Homemade Flour Tortillas
- 3 cups flour all purpose
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil can also use vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. You can use a mixer or mix by hand. Add the canola oil. Stir the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in warm water and stir to combine. Briefly knead the dough with well-floured hands until the mixture forms a rough dough ball. Place the rough dough ball onto a well-floured work surface. Roll the dough out enough that you can divide into 16 fairly equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball and flatten a little bit with the palm of your hand.
- Now we are going to let the flattened dough pieces to rest. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest for 15 to 60 minutes.
- When you are ready to start cooking the dough, warm a cast iron skillet or other heavier skillet over medium-high heat. We use two cast iron skillets so we can double the amount of tortillas we can cook in the same amount of time.
- Lightly flour the work surface and the rolling pin. Roll each dough ball into a circle about 6 inches in diameter. Do not stack the uncooked dough circles on top of each other before cooking. They will stick together and be hard to get apart.
- Start cooking the tortillas one or two at a time in the hot skillet. Cook for about one minute. When it starts forming bubbles on the top and brown spots on the underneath of the tortilla it is time to flip the tortilla and cook the other side. Cook the second side for about 30 seconds.
- As the tortillas finish cooking, remove from the pan and stack the tortillas loosely. Wrap in a kitchen towel to keep them warm and soft. Serve immediately or cool for later use.
Here is a tortilla in all its glory! Is this not the most delicious thing you have ever seen? This homemade flour tortilla recipe turns a really good taco into an amazing taco!
So Worth It…
I know it would be much easier to just open a package of store bought tortillas, but let me just say that this little bit of extra work is so worth it! The great thing is that this little bit of extra work is not in vain. You can wrap the tortillas in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for two to three days. Even better, the tortillas can be frozen for two to three months in the freezer. Just separate the tortillas with sheets of waxed paper and store in a zip-top plastic or freezer bag. So good ahead, double the batch and make extras to have on hand in the freezer!
To warm the tortillas after being in the fridge or freezer, wrap tortillas in a slightly damp paper towel. This will give a little bit of extra moisture to them. Microwave for 15-30 seconds or until warm and soft.
We adapted this homemade flour tortilla recipe from Nourish and fete. Thanks so much for the inspiration!
The next time you have a Mexican dinner planned, try making these delicious homemade flour tortillas. Your family and friends will love them and be glad you went to a little extra effort for them! They will feel the love! 🙂
Adios until next time!