Okay, we admit getting up in the mornings is not a very fun thing to do. Sometimes it is even excruciating! But, on those mornings when you have some extra time to sit down to a family breakfast together, getting up is a lot easier. For us, Saturdays are typically a little bit of a slower day. We love making breakfast and sitting down together before going on with the rest of the day. It is just so relaxing…especially with this easy breakfast casserole!
Our easy breakfast casserole recipe gives you a reason to want to get up. The combination of bacon, shredded potatoes and cheddar cheese is so delicious. This casserole has that hearty, stick-to-your-ribs kind of feeling. Perfect for those cold winter mornings that we have been having. But don’t get us wrong, we make this in the summer also because it is just that good. We can’t wait through spring and summer for fall to arrive to enjoy it again.
One tip we will pass on is to make sure your shredded potatoes are thawed if you are using frozen ones. This helps the dish to cook a bit quicker. It also keeps the cheese from browning too much before the inside is completely cooked. If the top does start to brown too quickly, you can always cover with aluminum foil. If your edges get brown, check out one of our favorite Pampered Chef tools to help you out!
The aroma from this scrumptious breakfast casserole is indescribable. Just take our word for it that it smells heavenly!
You can substitute sausage or ham for the bacon. Some spicy Italian sausage would add a really nice kick! Maybe onions are not your thing, just leave them out. You could easily add some red or green peppers. Maybe some chopped up spinach is your thing; it would go beautifully in this casserole. Play around with the ingredients for this recipe. It is such a fun and delicious one to make just the way your family would like it.
Easy Breakfast Casserole
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 5 extra large eggs
- 3 cups shredded potatoes if using frozen potatoes, thawed
- 1/3 cup onion finely diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons parsley finely chopped
- Cook bacon and then crumble it. (Make sure to pat off the grease with a paper towel)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a large bowl whisk together the milk and eggs.
- Add half of the crumbled bacon, hash browns, onion and salt. And pour the mixture into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Top with the cheddar cheese and other half of the crumbled bacon.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Let sit 5 minutes before cutting.
We served this easy breakfast casserole with a side of toast and fresh fruit. You could also serve it with biscuits or muffins. Yogurt with granola would make a really nice side, as well. This casserole is so easy and versatile. It goes with just about anything.
The inspiration for our easy breakfast casserole came from the Thrifty Diva. Thanks so much for the great inspiration!
We hope you enjoyed this recipe and have an awesome day! Remember, getting up in the morning doesn’t have to be a bad thing. You just need the right inspiration!