Muffins are a huge hit with our family for breakfast. We have found very few muffins that we are not a fan of (one exception is a bran muffin, not on our list to have again). We each have our very favorites, but these Cream Cheese Lemon Streusel Muffins may be another favorite we all agree on.
The whole family loves muffins that have either a streusel topping or sugar crystals. They both seem to add a lot to our muffin experience. Sometimes we will also pour a glaze over the tops of the muffins to change them up a bit.
The Cream Cheese Lemon Streusel Muffins were an immediate favorite with this bunch of muffin lovers. Everything from the streusel topping to the moist muffin had everyone reaching for a second (and some of us a third and fourth, sshh!). The muffins are packed full of lemon flavor and piled high with streusel. This combination is a winner!
The cream cheese and butter need to be room temperature before you begin mixing up the batter. So make sure and give yourself a little extra time when making this recipe.
The cream cheese make these a little bit heavier of a muffin. Therefore, they take a little longer to bake than your average muffin. Don’t panic when you see how long they bake for. It is not a mistake! 🙂
Cream Cheese Lemon Streusel Muffins
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 TBSP salted butter room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 TBSP lemon zest fresh
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 extra large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 4 TBSP salted butter melted
- Place cupcake liners in a 12 cup muffin tin. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar and lemon zest with a mixer. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the buttermilk, egg, vanilla and lemon juice to the cream cheese mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter. Mix by hand until just combined. The batter will be a little lumpy.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Whisk the sugar, brown sugar and flour. Stir in the melted butter. It will form small clumps. Sprinkle the streusel on top of each muffin.
- Bake the muffins for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Once the muffins have cooled for a few minutes, remove from the muffin tin and transfer them to a cooling rack.
We love these for breakfast, but they would also be great served at a wedding or baby shower. They also make a great dessert or snack.
The inspiration for these Cream Cheese Lemon Streusel Muffins came from Mels Kitchen Care. Thanks so much for the great idea!
If you like muffins as much as we do then you will want to give these beauties a try. Let us know what you think!
Have a great day everyone!