This post has been sponsored by Smithfield Foods. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Our family loves green beans! It is probably our favorite vegetable. One of the things we love about them is how versatile they are. Add them to a stir fry, make the ever so famous green bean casserole during the holidays or make the old-fashioned country green beans. Anyway you go, you can’t go wrong!
Country Green Beans
Country Green Beans is how we most often make our green beans. We cook them on the stove with ham, salt, and water. It is that simple! Smithfield Anytime Favorites Hickory Smoked Cubed Ham makes it even more simple for us busy women. No more cooking a ham so I have ham and juice for my green beans. I just open a package of this Hickory Smoked Cubed Ham and add it to my green beans, along with water and salt, and I am ready to go! Seriously, it doesn’t get any easier than this!
I remember being a little girl and staying with my grandma. During the summer months we would get fresh green beans from her garden and wash them. Then we would go out onto her front porch, get all settled in the swing, then snap green beans while we talked and laughed. I will always cherish these memories of time with my Grandma!
Sydney and I try our hardest to slow down some and enjoy the journey. Unfortunately, we just can’t slow down as much as I did growing up. So, we take the slower times where we can get them. Kroger and Hickory Smoked Cubed Ham allow us to have some more time in our day. Whether you are a get all your groceries for the week kind of person or a drop in and get just what I need for today kind of person, Kroger has you covered. To make these Country Green Beans you can get both the Hickory Smoked Cubed Ham and the green beans at your local Kroger. Grab the green beans in the produce area and then go to the prepackaged deli meats area and pick up the Hickory Smoked Cubed Ham. Easy peasy!
To make it easy, shop the recipe below to directly add to your Kroger shopper cart!
Country Green Beans
- 2 pounds fresh green beans washed, ends cut off, and snapped
- 1 package Smithfield Anytime Favorites Hickory Smoked Cubed Ham
- water you want a good bit so the water doesn't cook away completely
- salt to taste
- Wash and snap green beans (make sure you cut off the pointy ends). Place them in a large pot.
- Add a package of Smithfield Anytime Favorites Hickory Smoked Cubed Ham (drain all of the juice from the package into your beans, as well), water and salt to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Place lid on pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down so there is just a very small boil. Let simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Make sure you don't cook away all the water. Keep an eye on it periodically, and add water if it starts going too low.
- Pour off any extra water and serve. These are absolutely excellent leftover. Just store in the fridge in an air tight container.
Crock Pot Option
You can always put the ingredients in the crock pot and cook them on low for 6 to 8 hours instead of cooking them on the stove. Do whatever is easier for you. If you like a little extra ham flavor to your green beans you can always use 2 packages of Hickory Smoked Cubed Ham. Also, make sure and drain all the ham juice from the package into your green beans when you add in the ham. This adds to the yummy flavor!
We love the delicious taste of these Country Green Beans. We also love the convenience and time savings that Hickory Smoked Cubed Ham and Kroger gives us. Everyone can always use some extra time to their day!
This Hickory Smoked Cubed Ham saves me from baking a ham and then dicing up some of it to make one of our most requested side dishes. We always have Smithfield meats on hand! Kroger saves us time because we can order online and then pull up at the store and have our groceries brought out to us. Time is one thing we can never get back and we are so appreciative of things that allow us more time for the people we love!
Have a great day and we hope you enjoyed my childhood recipe that reminds me of my grandma!