Chocolate Crinkle Cookies are great for Christmas parties and cookie exchanges! The rich chocolate taste mixed with the sweet powdered sugar marries together so well.
If you love chocolate and brownies then you are really going to love these Chocolate Crinkle Cookies. They are the perfect combination of chocolate and brownies with a covering of powdered sugar. Absolute heaven!
Christmas Cookie or Year Round Cookie?
We seriously thought these would be a Christmas cookie recipe for us. Well, that was some seriously wrong thinking. We will be baking these little gems year round! There is no way we will be able to only make them at Christmas time. About a week after getting this recipe tweaked, we were already craving another batch of them! These have went from a Christmas cookie to a year round cookie for us.
These Chocolate Crinkle Cookies are as delicious as they are beautiful! Check them out below. Wow!
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies Preparation
Other than needing dark brown sugar, instead of light brown sugar, you will most likely have everything on hand already to make these cookies. We love it when a recipe doesn’t require any specialty ingredients. It makes it so nice. Sometimes when you see a recipe you want to make it right now, not after you go to the grocery store for some of the ingredients.
You will want to set the eggs out a bit so they can get to room temperature before starting to bake.
Make sure you don’t skip the powdered sugar and make these without it. The powdered sugar adds to the sweetness. When we were tweaking our recipe the first time around we left a few of the cookies without powdered sugar (experiment time!). The powdered sugar most definitely adds to the sweetness. Some people don’t like powdered sugar because it can be messy. If you are one of those people, we promise that these cookies are so delicious they are worth a little bit of mess!
Time To Chill
You will also want to allow for some chilling time for the dough once it is made. You will want to put it in the freezer for about an hour. This dough is very sticky and this really helps. In between baking the cookies, we kept the dough in the freezer.
When they are baking, about 3/4 of the way through, you will want to flatten the cookies with a spatula. This keeps them from rising too much and baking unevenly.
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 extra large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Beat the sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder, and canola oil using a stand or hand mixer. Beat until well combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until just combined.
- Mix in the flour, baking powdered, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Cover the dough and place in freezer for an hour.
- When the hour is almost up, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into about 1 1/2 tablespoon size balls. Roll the balls into the powdered sugar. Flatten the balls with a glass. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until just done. 3/4 of the way through the baking process, flatten the cookies out with a glass again. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
These Chocolate Crinkle Cookies are now one of our very favorite cookies. You most definitely should give them a try. We promise you won’t regret it!
Here are a few other cookie recipes calling your name:
Have a great day and make sure to do some baking today!