Sydney and I love those slow moving Saturday mornings when we get to sleep in a bit and have no where to go until the afternoon or evening. When we get one of these wonderful Saturdays we love to cook breakfast for our family. There is something so much more special about having breakfast together as a family than having dinner together. I think it is the simple fact that we don’t often get an opportunity to enjoy breakfast together as a family. This makes it a special occasion for us. And for our last family breakfast, we had this beautiful Breakfast Skillet!
We are huge fans of cast iron cooking. Whenever we can make a recipe that uses a cast iron skillet or pan, we are all over it. There is just something wonderful about all the goodness that happens when we use cast iron to cook with. My grandma used cast iron a lot to cook with and I think that there are a lot of memories tied up with cast iron cooking for me. On top of that, everything just seems to sizzle and brown up a little easier in cast iron. Everything we cook in cast iron just seems a little yummier!
We are also huge fans of skillet meals (like our Loaded Nacho Fries). We love how everything blends together in one pan. All the different textures and colors together in one dish. It looks so pretty. And we all know that pretty food tastes so much better!
Fresh Ingredients For The Breakfast Skillet
Always start with fresh ingredients! This is so important for this Breakfast Skillet. Fresh over frozen whenever possible is our philosophy! You can truly taste the difference.
This Breakfast Skillet looks like it would be complicated but it is really so easy. Chopping up the ingredients takes the most time. That is the most difficult part. 🙂
Change Up The Ingredients
This is one of those recipes that you can really change up to suit your own personal tastes. You can add in red peppers and onions. Swap the bacon for sausage. Use a different cheese or add in some mushrooms. There is really no right or wrong way to make this recipe. You can truly make it your own. If you are one of those cooks who love to experiment, then this is the perfect recipe to experiment with.
- 1 pound bacon cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups red potatoes diced
- 4 extra large eggs
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup green peppers a heaping 1/2 cup
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the bacon into 1 inch pieces. Cook for 5-7 minutes in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Cook until the bacon is crisp.
- Set the bacon on a paper towel. Pour half of the bacon grease out of the cast iron skillet. Return the cooked bacon to the skillet with the other half of the bacon grease. Add the potatoes and green peppers to the skillet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and a little crispy.
- Remove the bacon, potatoes and peppers into a bowl and set aside.
- Now crack 4 eggs into the skillet. Allow room in between the eggs. Cook the eggs for about a minute or so, just until the egg whites set. Do not stir the eggs.
- Gently, spoon the bacon, potatoes and pepper mixture in and around the eggs. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and cook just until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with the freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve right from the cast iron skillet.
The inspiration for this recipe came from Country Recipe Book. Thanks so much for the great inspiration!
If your family is like ours and loves breakfast foods, then you will really want to make this Breakfast Skillet for them. It truly is delicious and will become a family favorite.