I have to be completely honest, scones have never been a particular favorite of mine. Many times they are dry and hard. It takes a glass of milk per bite to get them down. That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea. They just are not a go to of mine when I am craving something sweet. But then…I met the Blueberry Scones recipe.
This recipe that I am going to share with you will change your taste buds on the topic of scones forever. These scones are so moist with the perfect outer crust. They are firm without being hard as a brick! I am now a scone lover and you can be too if you give this easy Blueberry Scones recipe a try.
When we were making this recipe I honestly thought it would be a waste and we would end up throwing away the scones. I figured we would waste time, money and calories on something that was “just okay” at best. So very glad I was proven wrong! It was the best time, money and calories ever spent. I also got a lesson on giving foods I haven’t found to be too great another try! This was a wonderful and unexpected lesson!
Tips For Blueberry Scones
For this Blueberry Scones recipe you will need a stick of butter that is frozen. So when you are planning on making this recipe you will want to put a stick of butter in the freezer the day or night before. You will be grating the frozen butter so you will need to have or borrow a grater.
A pastry cutter will also come in handy when cutting the grated butter into the mixture. If you don’t have one two forks will work also.
When you are ready to add the blueberries to the batter you will want to very gently fold them in with a spatula. If you end up mashing the blueberries the blue color will bleed throughout the batter.
Easy Blueberry Scones
- 1/2 cup sour cream full fat
- 1/2 cup milk whole
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 stick salted butter frozen and grated
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries fresh
- 1/2 TBSP additional salted butter melted
- 3-4 TBSP milk whole
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream and milk together. Set the bowl in the fridge.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Next, using a pastry cutter, cut in the grated frozen butter. Cut the butter into the mixture until the mixture resembles small peas.
- Retrieve the sour cream/milk mixture from the fridge. Slowly pour it into the flour/butter mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries with a spatula. Fold in until just combined. Do not over mix them.
- Now you will want to sprinkle your work surface lightly with flour. Place the dough on the floured surface. Form into a 10 inch circle. Cut the dough into 8 triangles (like you would a pie or pizza). Place the triangles of dough onto the parchment covered baking sheet. Space the triangles about 2 inches apart.
- Brush the tops of the triangles with melted butter.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until the tops are a light brown color. You don't want to over bake or they will be dry and hard.
- Remove the scones from the baking sheet and place on a cooling rack.
- Once the scones are cooled it is time to glaze them. Mix the milk, confectioners' sugar and vanilla in a small bowl. Use more or less milk to achieve the desired glaze consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the scones.
- You can also glaze the scones while they are warm and enjoy them right away. This does make a bit more of a mess as the glaze melts when it hits the scones. It also causes more runoff. It is a bit messy but so worth it if you want to eat some of the scones warm.
Happen to be a hot tea lover? A cup of tea goes beautifully with these scones. If not, a cup of hot coffee or a tall glass of cold milk goes with them just as well.
I was actually very surprised at how easy these were to make. They didn’t take much time to whip together and were not difficult at all. Another pleasant surprise!
They would be perfect if you are having a brunch or need a pretty dessert. They just have that elegance factor to them.
Inspiration for these delicious Blueberry Scones came from Handle The Heat! Thanks for the great idea! 🙂
I hope you give this recipe a try and I also hope that, like me, you have a new found appreciation and love for scones! Have a great day!