Birthday Cookie Waffles are a cross between a sugar cookie and a waffle. Take this cookie dough and place it in your waffle iron. A couple minutes later, they are done! Drizzle glaze over each one and top with rainbow sprinkles. Kiddos will love this recipe!
We don’t have any little ones yet, but if we did we would most definitely make these Birthday Cookie Waffles for them. Sydney and I are always coming up with ideas for wee ones and sometimes we just have to go ahead and run with it. So, even though it was only adults enjoying this recipe, we hope if you have some little ones that you will make these Birthday Cookie Waffles for them on their next birthday. If you don’t have any little ones then just do what we did…make them anyway!
The sweet glaze and the sprinkles just seem to shout both fun and children when you see these Birthday Cookie Waffles. My dad was here to taste test these sweet treats. Now, he didn’t jump up and down while they were cooking or ask if they were “done yet”, but he sure did seem to enjoy them with his cup of coffee. So, I think it is safe to assume that adults and children alike will fall in love with these Birthday Cookie Waffles.
Birthday Cookie Waffles
The taste is a twist between a sugar cookie and a waffle. This is one time that it is okay to have a cookie for breakfast because it is a cookie waffle! Permission has been granted!
When we were making these we wanted them to have a variety of different shapes and sizes (incase you were wondering…we used this waffle maker). So instead of scooping the cookie waffle batter into the center of the waffle iron we scooped it into different areas in the waffle iron. This allowed them to come out in different sizes and shapes. It just seemed to fit the fun birthday theme.
One thing we do want to mention is that on our first attempt at making these cookie waffles we cooked them to a golden brown. Big mistake! They continue to cook on the cooling racks. We ended up with rock hard cookie waffles the first time around. The moral of this story is that even though they might not look done and appear light in color, they will finish cooking as they cool. They will also harden up to resemble more of a cookie and less of a waffle. They will be perfect!
Another lesson learned was that you do not want to store them in a plastic container with the lid on. Yikes! This allowed them to become way too soft and almost rubbery. The best way to store them is in a glass or ceramic cookie jar or a glass cake stand. If you even have any leftovers, that is. For what we thought was going to be an easy recipe, we had some serious tweaking to do to get these just right.
Birthday Cookie Waffles
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- colorful sprinkles optional, but perfect for a birthday
- Pre-heat waffle iron and spray with cooking spray.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix together the wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until combined well.
- Based on the size and shape you would like your cookie waffles to be, pour some batter into the waffle iron. Cook for just a few minutes, you want them to be light in color (they will harden as they cool).
- Transfer cooked cookie waffles to a cooling rack.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk. You can either add the sprinkles to the glaze or sprinkle them on right after you drizzle the glaze over the cooled waffles.
- Let the glaze and sprinkles set for a few minutes before enjoying.
These Birthday Cookie Waffles are super easy to make. If you have little ones, they will love drizzling the glaze over the cookie waffles and adding on the sprinkles. Because, you know, the sprinkles are the best part!
The inspiration for these Birthday Cookie Waffles came from Well Floured. Thanks so much for the inspiration, we greatly appreciate it!
We hope you enjoyed our fun and festive Birthday Cookie Waffles recipe. Even if you don’t have little ones we really believe you will enjoy these cookie waffles.
Have an awesome day everyone!