A warm, buttery biscuit with all of your favorite breakfast flavors. You’ll find pieces of bacon, maple syrup, and cheddar cheese throughout these Best Breakfast Biscuits. These are great with butter and jam or made into a breakfast sandwich!
What is it about a warm and buttery biscuit that just seems to speak to us? I guess it is just one of those foods that makes you feel good. Maybe it takes you back to your childhood or is just a good old-fashioned comfort food. Whatever it is, our family seems to gravitate towards biscuits.
Whether they have melted butter dripping off of them, slathered in honey or jam, covered with chicken & noodles, or served as a side with a thick stew…this family will put a batch of homemade biscuits away!
How To Make The Best Breakfast Biscuits
This Best Breakfast Biscuits recipe is a twist on our favorite buttery biscuits. It is filled with bacon, cheddar cheese, and a touch of maple syrup. This trio of flavors just seem to work together beautifully. It is almost a meal in a biscuit. Perfect for those hurried mornings where everyone is running out the door to work, school, and appointments. Grab one and go!
Even though Sydney and I are more traditional in our love for a salted buttery biscuit, these come in a close second for us. It took a little extra tweaking to get this recipe just right, but we finally got it. That is something that is so great about recipe creating, you keep playing around with the ingredients (and doing a good bit of taste testing, yum) until you get it exactly where you and your family like it. Long before Sydney and I considered ourselves recipe creators, we were always adding and deleting ingredients or changing the amounts of ingredients that a recipe called for. We have always been very comfortable making changes to a recipe so that it meets the expectations of our taste buds!
This recipe calls for frozen butter. Just put the butter in the freezer a few hours before baking or even overnight. I tend to forget to get up and put it in the freezer, so I just put mine in the freezer the day or evening ahead of making them. Works like a charm.
You also need to have 10 slices of cooked bacon for this recipe. If you find yourself making this recipe over and over or have other recipes that call for cooked bacon, just cook up a couple of pounds and freeze the bacon slices. Pull out what you need for a recipe and you are ready to go. This saves a ton of time when you don’t have to fry bacon for a recipe!
As with many biscuit recipes these Best Breakfast Biscuits call for buttermilk. This may or may not be something you keep on hand. We seem to be having it on hand more and more here lately. Biscuit recipes that call for buttermilk are amazing!
On a little side note, Sydney and I are not fans of drinking buttermilk! Yuck! But, my dad is a huge fan. His absolute favorite way to enjoy buttermilk is to put some cornbread in a tall glass and then fill the rest of the glass with buttermilk and top with black pepper. Sydney and I both find this repulsive on many levels. The first two being drinking buttermilk and then adding in cornbread which is going to be hideously soggy. If you have been following us for awhile now, I am sure you know that we are not fans of soggy foods. Period, hands down, no way! But, to each his own. So Dad, you go ahead and enjoy your “wonderful” concoction!
Best Breakfast Biscuits
- 10 slices bacon cooked and torn into small pieces
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded, mild, or sharp (depending on your taste)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk (In addition to the above)
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup salted butter frozen and grated
- 8 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons additional salted butter melted
- sea salt to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook bacon until brown and crispy. Drain fat and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Using a large bowl combine the bacon pieces, cheddar cheese, flour, sugar, kosher salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Grate the frozen butter using a large hole grater. Combine into the dry ingredients and set aside again.
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and syrup. Add to the dry ingredients. Stir until a dough forms.
- Flour a working surface. Knead the dough until it comes together (a minute or so). Roll the dough onto the floured work surface with a rolling pin into a 1 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Using a 2 inch biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits. Place the cut out biscuits onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes to set.
- Remove the pan of biscuits from the freezer and bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl melt the 2 tablespoons of butter. Brush the melted butter on the top of the biscuits and sprinkle on a little sea salt when they come out of the oven.
You can serve these Best Breakfast Biscuits as a side dish or you can make them the main course. Whatever works for you and your schedule.
If you are looking for a different twist to a butter biscuit then you will most definitely want to give this recipe a try! However, if you like a simple, plain, and old-fashioned type of biscuit, our Easy Homemade Biscuits is the recipe you will want to check out!
We hope you enjoyed our biscuit conversation today. We also hope you got a little peek into our love of biscuits. Give these delicious Best Breakfast Biscuits a try soon. Have an amazing day!